Paintings, color notes, field sketches and prints by famous Wisconsin Artist Owen J. Gromme will be featured in a retrospective exhibit at Landmarks Gallery, 231 N 76th St. Milwaukee, beginning Tuesday, July 6th.
Owen Gromme was born July 5th, 1896 in Fond du Lac, Wi and lived to the age of 95. He died in 1991. Gromme lived a colorful career as a taxidermist, explorer, photographer, movie editor, background painter and was the longtime Curator of Birds and Mammals at The Milwaukee Public Museum.He is author and artist for “Birds of Wisconsin’ a book with paintings, habitat and description of birds residing in Wisconsin. He completed the work in 1963 after twenty-five years of endeavor. It is the scientific authority on Wisconsin birds.
The exhibit will include original oil paintings “Winter Day –Pheasants” which was never published as a print: “Getting Even- Great Horned Owl and Crows”, and “Nesting Owls”. Introduced will be the limited edition print “Toncho Sacred Cranes,” from a painting executed by Gromme after a commissioned trip to Japan to paint the Tonchos. Only four prints are available.
Landmarks Gallery is open Tuesday through Friday from 10a.m. to 6p.m., Saturday from 10a.m. to 5p.m., and Sunday from 1p.m. to 5p.m.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Transition Resource Fair ---May 7th
- Stritch Theater presents "Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up?"
- MCW researcher to investigate diabetic heart susceptibility to cardiac sensitivity
- We're Going Green for Shabbat!
- Milwaukee/NARI Says April Showers Don’t Have to Bring Foundation Leaks
- Investigators to study link between brain injury and addiction
- North Shore Bank Hosts Free Community Shredding Day on May 2
- LearningRx in Brookfield Donates to Autism Society of Southeastern Wisconsin
- North Shore Congregational Church to Host Church-Wide Rummage Sale
- Seniors Trip to Brewers-Dodgers Game