Friday, December 4 (5 - 8 pm)
Saturday, December 5 (9 am - 4 pm)
WHEN SHOPPERS ARRIVE AT THE INTERNATIONAL GIFT SHOP, snuggled into the woods on the west bank of the Milwaukee River, they find a colorful and eclectic mix of art and hand-made crafts from Africa, Asia—and Wisconsin. Many of the gift items are imported and others are donated by local Quaker artisans. New vendors this year offer African masks, gourd art, basketry, and Hmong crafts in addition to all the products that have characterized this unique event for the past 38 years!
The International Gift Shop is Friday, December 4 from 5 to 8 in the evening, and Saturday, December 5, from 9 in the morning to 4 in the afternoon. It's held at the Quaker Meetinghouse, 3224 North Gordon Place, Milwaukee. Access is at the end of Auer Ave, east from Humboldt Blvd between Locust St and Capitol Dr. Shoppers may park free in the school parking lot near the Meeting House.
Shoppers may rest and refresh themselves during the day in the Friends Café, organized and staffed as a special project by Quaker teenagers. They will be serving hot drinks, hearty soups, breads, and homemade baked goods.
Cash and checks only, please. Entrance to the Gift Shop is free.
The proceeds of the International Gift Shop support two non-profit Quaker organizations: the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) and Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL). Founded during World War I, AFSC supports self-help projects at home and abroad, and seeks non-violent alternatives to resolve conflicts at all levels of human interaction around the world. FCNL is a nationwide network of people from many different races, religions, and cultures. It advocates social and economic justice, peace, and good government. FCNL was founded in 1943.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Last Whitefish Bay Community Band Concert on Sunday August 17, 2014
- North Shore Resident Joins Brookfield Office of Ameriprise Financial
- Lobsterfest 2014
- BloodCenter of Wisconsin to Host 13th Annual Big League Blood Drive
- Pizzeria Piccola Society Sunday August 17 benefiting Second Hand Purrs
- Chalk Art Festival Returns to Bayshore Town Center
- Polonia's Annual Festival
- MCW enters into agreement with UAE
- Whitefish Bay Community Band Concert Wednesday August 6, 7:00pm
- Caution Pedestrians and Motorists in the North Shore.