Be Fireworks Smart
Fireworks and sparklers are a wonderful way to celebrate the 4th of July. But they must be used carefully! The National Council on Fireworks Safety urges consumers to be fireworks smart, before, during and after their consumer fireworks display.
Before: Choose an open area away from spectators, homes and buildings and dry vegetation. Use a garden hose to wet down the area before firing.
During: As each device burns out, soak it using a hose, or bucket of water.
After: Place all used items in a covered fireproof container and leave outside and away from homes and buildings.
“Fireworks add a lot of fun and excitement to 4th of July celebrations. However, you must be very cautious and smart when you use them!”, says Andrew McCabe from Allstate Insurance in Shorewood.
In addition to fireworks, sparklers can be dangerous as well. Below are some safety tips for sparklers:
• Children under the age of 12 should not use sparklers without very close adult supervision.
• Always remain standing while using sparklers.
• Never hold, or light, more than one sparkler at a time.
• Sparklers and bare feet can be a painful combination. Always wear closed-toe shows when using sparklers.
• Sparkler wire and stick remain hot long after the flame has gone out. Be sure to drop the spent sparklers directly in a bucket of water.
• Never hand a lighted sparkler to another person. Give them the unlit sparkler and then light it.
• Always stand at least 6 feet from another person while using sparklers.
• Never throw sparklers.
• Show children how to hold sparklers away from their body and at arm’s length.
• Teach children not to wave sparklers, especially wooden stick sparklers, or run while holding sparklers.
For more information on this and other safety topics, contact Allstate agent Andrew McCabe at 414-961-1166.
- Whitefish Bay Community Band Concert Wednesday June 29, 7:00pm at Klode Park
- Whitefish Bay resident earns highest Girl Scout honor with nutrition education project
- Glendale's Fourth of July Community Celebration
- Local Soccer Player to Be Honored by Chicago MLS
- Cigar Networkers of Milwaukee Presents - Know Your Leaf
- M Design Build welcomes Terry Perschbacher
- Support for K9s Keeps "Brewing"
- Lake Geneva Mail Boat Tour and Luncheon
- “A Sailor’s Songbag” with David HB Drake
- CIGAR NETWORKERS OF MILWAUKEE PRESENTS SMOKE ON THE WATER