MILWAUKEE – A Tony Award®-winning revival of a Broadway musical classic is making its Milwaukee debut. To launch its 2011-2012 Broadway lineup, the Milwaukee Theatre welcomes NETworks Presentations’ production of Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein’s Pulitzer Prize-winning musical South Pacific October 28-30.
The revival of the venerable musical is based on the 2008 Tony Award winning Lincoln Center Theater production, directed by Bartlett Sher. Performances are at 8 p.m. Friday, October 28; 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Saturday, October 29 and 2 p.m. on Sunday, October 30.
“South Pacific epitomizes the classic Broadway musical,” said Wisconsin Center District president and CEO Richard Geyer. “We are proud to bring the Tony-award revival the Milwaukee community.”
Based on James Michener’s Pulitzer Prize winning book Tales of the South Pacific, Rodgers & Hammerstein’s South Pacific is set on a tropical island during World War II. The musical tells the sweeping romantic story of two couples – US Navy nurse Nellie Forbush and French plantation owner Emile de Becque as well as Navy Airman Joe Cable and a young local native girl Liat – and how their happiness is threatened by the realities of war and by their own prejudices. Hailed by the Washington Post as the finest South Pacific revival in a generation, the score’s songs include such classics as “Some Enchanted Evening,” “I’m Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair,” “Bali Ha’i,” “There is Nothin’ Like A Dame,” and “A Wonderful Guy.”
The National Touring Company of South Pacific will be led by Marcelo Guzzo (Emile de Becque) and Katie Reid (Nellie Forbush), with Shane Donovan (Lt. Cable), Christian Marriner (Luther Billis), Cathy Foy-Mahi (Bloody Mary), Robert John Biedermann (Capt. Brackett), James Bould (Cmdr. Harbison), Hsin-Yu Liao (Liat), Jake Bridges (Professor), Erik Cheski (Stewpot), Judae’a Brown (Ngana) and Cole Bullock (Jerome).
Tickets are priced at $75, $63, $48 and $33. Opening night tickets are $10 off (excluding $75 seats). Military veterans and personnel receive $10 off all non-$75 seats for all four presentations. Seniors aged 62 and older receive a 10 percent discount for all performances (excluding $75 seats).
For more information on the production, please visit www.milwaukeetheatre.org or www.SouthPacificOnTour.com.
- New Brookfield Nutrition Office Open August 1
- Meijer to Sponsor Six Flags Great America Back-2-School Blast
- The Starr Group Hires Marco Briceno
- First Annual St. Robert Pretzel Run Offers Participants Fun and a Tasty Treat
- Cigar Networkers of Milwaukee Presents - 10 Things You Should Never Do As a Cigar Smoker
- Tour to New York, Atlantic City and Philadelphia!
- Appliance Gallery Offers Maintenance Tips for Kitchen Appliances
- Silver Spring Drive Sidewalk Sale-A-Bration to Include 5 Card Studs Friday Evening and a Saturday Afternoon Adventure Zone
- Mequon resident elected to Girl Scout Board
- Milwaukee Rep Seeks New "Tiny Tim" and Other Young Performers for "A Christmas Carol"