Milwaukee, Wis. – A FREE, five-week educational series for grandparents and other relatives who are parenting again is being offered by five collaborating agencies in Milwaukee. This educational series entitled “Grandparents and Other Relatives as Parents” will be offered Thursday evenings from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. beginning April 28th and continuing through May 26th. All classes will be held at The Parenting Network, 7516 W. Burleigh Street, Milwaukee. A light meal and child care provided at no cost.
“Relatives caring for minor children are often a hidden population,” said Jan Buchler, Executive Director of The Parenting Network. “Wisconsin census data indicate nearly 50,000 children under the age of 18 reside with their grandparents. That doesn’t include children living with other relatives. This program reaches a critically important, and often underserved, group of caregivers.”
The “Grandparents and Other Relatives as Parents” program addresses topics and concerns to those who find themselves unexpectedly in a parenting role. Topics include legal and financial information, transitional parenting, behavior and discipline and healthful living.
To register for “Grandparents and Other Relatives as Parents,” call the Parent Helpline at 414/671-0566. Gift card drawings will be held at each session. Undocumented families welcome. If you have roadblocks to attending, please call for possible assistance.
This educational series is presented by The Parenting Network, Family Caregivers Support Network of Interfaith Older Adults Programs Inc., Kids Matter Inc., Lutheran Social Services of Wisconsin and Upper Michigan, and Mental Health America. For more information, please visit theparentingnetwork.org.
# # #
Since 1977, The Parenting Network has served families throughout the greater Milwaukee community through its mission to strengthen parenting and to prevent child abuse. Services are provided:
- At Home – home visiting and case management services for any family in need
- At School – healthy relationship education to prevent sexual violence and teen pregnancy; parenting education for expectant and parenting teens
- In the Community – confidential Parent Helpline and a wide variety of parenting education and support classes and groups developed for specific parenting populations at sites throughout Milwaukee County
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Dominican Football team wins
- Village of Shorewood Hosts Second Annual Plein Air Festival
- Polish Harvest Festival
- FREE Pre-Concert Workshop
- River Hills resident elected to Girl Scout Board
- DHS Throws Disabled Under the Bus
- 10 Homework Tips for The School Year
- Dominican drops football opener
- Back to School Can be Tough for Students with Mental Health Challenges Rogers InHealth unveils new social media resources to help
- Dominican Football