Fresh off his North Shore Conference championship and All-Suburban Coach of the Year selection, Whitefish Bay boys basketball coach Dave Shaw resigned last week to take a teaching and coaching position in Pulaski.
"Dave has always been one who likes challenges," said Blue Duke Athletic Director John Gustavson. "He had a significant impact in his time at Bay and the excitement generated by the basketball team this past winter was indeed memorable. More importantly, he led the development of our youth program and this particular senior class was the first group to have come up through that program."
Shaw, who had been head coach since 2000, led the Blue Dukes to a 21-2 record this season and an undisputed North Shore Conference championship. They lost in WIAA sectional play to eventual state Division 2 champion Wisconsin Lutheran.
A native of Manitowoc, Shaw had previous coaching experience at Kewaskum and Winneconne. His brother Jesse won the Wisconsin Valley Conference title this past winter while at Antigo.
As a former basketball coach himself, Gustavson is going to be miss Shaw's attention to detail.
"No one had his team more prepared than Dave," said Gustavson. "He never lost a game on the chalkboard. His broad skill set is going to make it difficult to find someone as talented as him to take his place."
Gustavson said the position has already been posted and that several applications have already been received, some of which came in the day of Shaw's resignation. Applications will be taken through June 12.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Sports Shorts: May 21
- Homestead has just enough depth to pull away for fifth North Shore tennis title
- Cooperation helped Whitefish Bay softball tourney work despite weather
- Veteran Shorewood netters claim Woodland dual meet crown
- Sports wraps: May 15
- Shorewood thinclads combine for eight firsts in Woodland Outdoor track
- NSC tennis race too close to call as tourney looms this weekend
- Fourth-ranked Bay kickers still looking for that perfect game
- Germantown softball team edges Bay, 1-0, to improve to 11-0 in NSC
- OUR TAKE