It was not the type of debut that Brookfield Central coach Jed Kennedy was hoping for Friday night, as Whitefish Bay dominated the Lancers and rolled to a 20-6 victory at Central in the season opener.
Once again, Bassindale carried it six times for 28 yards on the drive. Running back Macklin Kortebein had a 13-yard run to help keep the drive alive.
The Lancers took the ball 11 plays to close out the half with their best drive, but Labellarte’s incompletion ended the half.
The Lancers played Bay even in the second half, as each team had a long drive to eat up the third quarter. Ludke missed a 30-yard field goal, the closest any team came to scoring.
Bassindale scored on a 6-yard run with 6:39 left to play, and then the Lancers scored on a 4-yard run by junior running back Mitch Meves with 2:35 left to play.
Bassindale rushed for 153 yards in 30 carries and two scores and Strehlow ran 85 yards in 10 carries and a score. Labellarte rushed for 50 yards in 13 carries.
“What’s disappointing was we just made a lot of mistakes, a lot of things we hadn’t seen in the last few weeks. We had some kids get under the lights and got a little star struck. We’re going to keep plugging away. Hopefully we’ll have a better performance than we did tonight.”
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Kirkendoll saves day with pick as Whitefish Bay takes NSC grid lead
- Whitefish Bay soccer team runs win streak to 9 with rout of East
- Football: Michael Kirkendoll's pick lifts Whitefish Bay football team over Germantown
- Comiskey's hat trick leads Bay soccer team past Tosa East, 5-1
- No letdown for Bay as Fisher's 4 TD passes lead rout of Port
- Bay football team continues to rally around Tietjen, stuffs Cedarburg
- Whitefish Bay girls cross-country team will need health, luck to succeed again
- Football: Kortebein leads inspired Bay football team to 34-14 win over Cedarburg
- Motivated Whitefish Bay boys soccer team looks to finish things up in 2015
- Football: With Tietjen watching, Whitefish Bay downs Brookfield Central