It was not the type of debut that Brookfield Central coach Jed Kennedy was hoping for Friday night, as Whitefish Bay dominated the Lancers and rolled to a 20-6 victory at Central in the season opener.
Once again, Bassindale carried it six times for 28 yards on the drive. Running back Macklin Kortebein had a 13-yard run to help keep the drive alive.
The Lancers took the ball 11 plays to close out the half with their best drive, but Labellarte’s incompletion ended the half.
The Lancers played Bay even in the second half, as each team had a long drive to eat up the third quarter. Ludke missed a 30-yard field goal, the closest any team came to scoring.
Bassindale scored on a 6-yard run with 6:39 left to play, and then the Lancers scored on a 4-yard run by junior running back Mitch Meves with 2:35 left to play.
Bassindale rushed for 153 yards in 30 carries and two scores and Strehlow ran 85 yards in 10 carries and a score. Labellarte rushed for 50 yards in 13 carries.
“What’s disappointing was we just made a lot of mistakes, a lot of things we hadn’t seen in the last few weeks. We had some kids get under the lights and got a little star struck. We’re going to keep plugging away. Hopefully we’ll have a better performance than we did tonight.”
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitefish Bay baseball team comes up just short of Falls in regional thriller
- Baseball: Gile rescues Falls again in 4-3 regional win over Whitefish Bay
- Whitefish Bay baseball team rides its pitching heading into WIAA tourney
- Controversial walk gives Whitefish Bay '9' win over Homestead
- Whitefish Bay baseball team remains hot, earns sixth seed in tourney
- Whitefish Bay's Lauko earns third All-Suburban softball nod
- Walk gives Bay baseball team 5-4 walk-off win over Homestead (1)
- Whitefish Bay baseball team remains hot
- Whitefish Bay baseball team gives Kaszubowski sweet send-off
- Bay baseball team gives Kaszubowski sweet send-off with 8-2 win