It was raining threes in the first half for the Whitefish Bay Dominican boys basketball team in the first half of its WIAA State 4 final with unbeaten Cuba City, as the Knights earned a 34-24 halftime lead in the game at the Kohl Center in Madison.
All told, the Knights would hit eight of 12 from behind the arc in the first 16 minutes.
Jamall Taylor had two and Duane Wilson one as the Knights roared out to a 9-0 lead. The Cubans (27-0) fought back with an 8-0 run as the Knights had trouble with turnovers in the first quarter (nine of them).
But another three by Dominican's Breon Jordan made it 12-9 at the end of the session.
At the start of the second quarter, Wilson drove and earned a three-point play and then hit two more three-pointers in the first four minutes of the period. All told, Dominican hit four straight treys before the four minute mark as it expanded its lead to 27-15.
Cuba City made another little surge, but the Knights then turned to freshman big man Diamond Stone. The 6-9 stopper slammed home a thunderous dunk which he converted into a three-point play and then got a critical tip-in just before the half-time buzzer.
Wilson had 15 points at the half while Taylor contributed eight.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Bay boys soccer team opens NSC defense with 3-0 win over GT
- Whitefish Bay football team handles BC and the weather just fine in opener
- Football: Whitefish Bay hands Lancers, Kennedy opening-night defeat
- Whitefish Bay football team will rely on quickness and speed in 2014
- Bay Little League team wins state title
- With help from his friends, Wojcinski and Bay succeeded
- Lackney and Stasiak led Bay baseball team to NSC title
- Pitching, attitude led to Whitefish Bay's first NSC baseball title
- Likable Homestead baseball team stuns Bay for state berth
- Homestead baseball team stuns Bay, 10-4, to earn state berth