It was raining threes in the first half for the Whitefish Bay Dominican boys basketball team in the first half of its WIAA State 4 final with unbeaten Cuba City, as the Knights earned a 34-24 halftime lead in the game at the Kohl Center in Madison.
All told, the Knights would hit eight of 12 from behind the arc in the first 16 minutes.
Jamall Taylor had two and Duane Wilson one as the Knights roared out to a 9-0 lead. The Cubans (27-0) fought back with an 8-0 run as the Knights had trouble with turnovers in the first quarter (nine of them).
But another three by Dominican's Breon Jordan made it 12-9 at the end of the session.
At the start of the second quarter, Wilson drove and earned a three-point play and then hit two more three-pointers in the first four minutes of the period. All told, Dominican hit four straight treys before the four minute mark as it expanded its lead to 27-15.
Cuba City made another little surge, but the Knights then turned to freshman big man Diamond Stone. The 6-9 stopper slammed home a thunderous dunk which he converted into a three-point play and then got a critical tip-in just before the half-time buzzer.
Wilson had 15 points at the half while Taylor contributed eight.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- SPORTS SHORTS: Sept. 18
- Bayfootball team bounces back with rout of Lutheran, 42-7
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 12
- Bay CC team accepts ALS Bucket Challenge, gets wet for a cause
- Bay football team comes up just short of powerful Germantown, 38-28
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 5
- Football: Germantown football team rallies to beat Bay
- Davre to lead powerful Whitefish Bay girls cross country team
- Bay football team passes "eyeball test" in 14-7 OT win over Slinger
- Bay and Nicolet tie for title in Brown Deer swim invite