Whitefish Bay rallied from an early 4-0 deficit, but West Bend West had too much firepower in a WIAA summer baseball state semifinal Friday afternoon at Bukolt Park in Stevens Point. The Spartans won, 9-4.
The Spartans, winners of the North Shore Conference in which Bay took fifth place this season, took a 4-0 lead thanks largely to Shane Hayes, who doubled, homered and drove in three runs in the first two innings.
But after the first six Blue Dukes went down in order, all three members of the bottom third reached base and scored in the third to make it 4-3. Starter Joshua Alt retired 10 batters in a row at one point as the tide seemed to be turning, but West Bend West scored five runs in the sixth to put the game out of reach.
Bay (21-14) was making its first state appearance since 2002. West Bend West advanced to face Franklin in the state-title game later Friday afternoon. Davis Yach's two-run single capped the rally.
Collin DeMuth's RBI single in the seventh capped the scoring.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- DeKeyser to lead experienced Whitefish Bay girls this winter
- Whitefish Bay swimmers rebound, advance seven entries to state
- Whitefish Bay girls CC team not quite healthy enough to win state
- Football: Homestead football team just a little bit better against Bay
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 2
- Road warrior Bay unit stuns Oshkosh North, 28-0
- Bay girls CC team is looking for second state title
- Football: Whitefish Bay makes a memorable trip north
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 1
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?