Whitefish Bay rallied from an early 4-0 deficit, but West Bend West had too much firepower in a WIAA summer baseball state semifinal Friday afternoon at Bukolt Park in Stevens Point. The Spartans won, 9-4.
The Spartans, winners of the North Shore Conference in which Bay took fifth place this season, took a 4-0 lead thanks largely to Shane Hayes, who doubled, homered and drove in three runs in the first two innings.
But after the first six Blue Dukes went down in order, all three members of the bottom third reached base and scored in the third to make it 4-3. Starter Joshua Alt retired 10 batters in a row at one point as the tide seemed to be turning, but West Bend West scored five runs in the sixth to put the game out of reach.
Bay (21-14) was making its first state appearance since 2002. West Bend West advanced to face Franklin in the state-title game later Friday afternoon. Davis Yach's two-run single capped the rally.
Collin DeMuth's RBI single in the seventh capped the scoring.
- 'TietjStrong' football tourney at Bay a success on many levels
- Touch football tourney to honor Whitefish Bay's Tietjen
- Whitefish Bay, Nicolet softball teams learn things at own tourney
- Whitefish Bay girls track team uses surprising depth to win NSC track relays
- Whitefish Bay netters win Waukesha South tourney
- Soccer rivalry heats up on cold night as Nicolet and Bay girls tie, 1-1
- Whitefish Bay Hall of Fame class full of trendsetters
- Whitefish Bay selects Jason Kasmarick as its new high school activities director
- Whitefish Bay boys show depth in winning NSC track indoor
- Antetokounmpo led Dominican boys to fifth straight state title