Whitefish Bay rallied from an early 4-0 deficit, but West Bend West had too much firepower in a WIAA summer baseball state semifinal Friday afternoon at Bukolt Park in Stevens Point. The Spartans won, 9-4.
The Spartans, winners of the North Shore Conference in which Bay took fifth place this season, took a 4-0 lead thanks largely to Shane Hayes, who doubled, homered and drove in three runs in the first two innings.
But after the first six Blue Dukes went down in order, all three members of the bottom third reached base and scored in the third to make it 4-3. Starter Joshua Alt retired 10 batters in a row at one point as the tide seemed to be turning, but West Bend West scored five runs in the sixth to put the game out of reach.
Bay (21-14) was making its first state appearance since 2002. West Bend West advanced to face Franklin in the state-title game later Friday afternoon. Davis Yach's two-run single capped the rally.
Collin DeMuth's RBI single in the seventh capped the scoring.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitefish Bay football team controls its own NSC destiny this Friday
- Kirkendoll saves day with pick as Whitefish Bay takes NSC grid lead
- Whitefish Bay soccer team runs win streak to 9 with rout of East
- Football: Michael Kirkendoll's pick lifts Whitefish Bay football team over Germantown
- Comiskey's hat trick leads Bay soccer team past Tosa East, 5-1
- No letdown for Bay as Fisher's 4 TD passes lead rout of Port
- Bay football team continues to rally around Tietjen, stuffs Cedarburg
- Whitefish Bay girls cross-country team will need health, luck to succeed again
- Football: Kortebein leads inspired Bay football team to 34-14 win over Cedarburg
- Motivated Whitefish Bay boys soccer team looks to finish things up in 2015