Whitefish Bay rallied from an early 4-0 deficit, but West Bend West had too much firepower in a WIAA summer baseball state semifinal Friday afternoon at Bukolt Park in Stevens Point. The Spartans won, 9-4.
The Spartans, winners of the North Shore Conference in which Bay took fifth place this season, took a 4-0 lead thanks largely to Shane Hayes, who doubled, homered and drove in three runs in the first two innings.
But after the first six Blue Dukes went down in order, all three members of the bottom third reached base and scored in the third to make it 4-3. Starter Joshua Alt retired 10 batters in a row at one point as the tide seemed to be turning, but West Bend West scored five runs in the sixth to put the game out of reach.
Bay (21-14) was making its first state appearance since 2002. West Bend West advanced to face Franklin in the state-title game later Friday afternoon. Davis Yach's two-run single capped the rally.
Collin DeMuth's RBI single in the seventh capped the scoring.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitefish Bay boys basketball team rallies past Nicolet, 79-74
- Whitefish Bay boys basketball team asserts it will, beats Homestead
- After break, Whitefish Bay gymnasts return to winning ways
- Whitefish Bay boys basketball team battles back to beat West Allis Central
- Jake Wolter ready for Whitefish Bay football job
- Germantown boys basketball team slips by Whitefish Bay, 92-88, in OT
- Tietjen remembered by many in powerful tribute
- Whitefish Bay football team honored Tietjen with NSC title
- Football: Friends remember Whitefish Bay football coach Jim Tietjen, who died after battle with brain cancer (2)
- Young Whitefish Bay swimmers get payoff with six state entries