Whitefish Bay rallied from an early 4-0 deficit, but West Bend West had too much firepower in a WIAA summer baseball state semifinal Friday afternoon at Bukolt Park in Stevens Point. The Spartans won, 9-4.
The Spartans, winners of the North Shore Conference in which Bay took fifth place this season, took a 4-0 lead thanks largely to Shane Hayes, who doubled, homered and drove in three runs in the first two innings.
But after the first six Blue Dukes went down in order, all three members of the bottom third reached base and scored in the third to make it 4-3. Starter Joshua Alt retired 10 batters in a row at one point as the tide seemed to be turning, but West Bend West scored five runs in the sixth to put the game out of reach.
Bay (21-14) was making its first state appearance since 2002. West Bend West advanced to face Franklin in the state-title game later Friday afternoon. Davis Yach's two-run single capped the rally.
Collin DeMuth's RBI single in the seventh capped the scoring.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitefish Bay boys track team rolls into form, wins East meet
- Whitefish Bay Hall of Fame a celebration of family and home
- Whitefish Bay boys tennis team will use mix of youth, experience to succeed
- Whitefish Bay's Lazovik a family man, teacher and then coach
- Sigh played huge leadership role for Bay boys basketball team
- Player of the Year: Dominican's Diamond Stone left a mark that will be remembered for decades
- Reed earns All-Suburban honors for Whitefish Bay basketball team
- Girls basketball: Blockton's legacy will resonate long after career
- Whitefish Bay girls baksetball team will need another new coach after 15-9 season
- Boys basketball: Fourth estate: Dominican becomes second program ever to win four straight titles