Bayside — The Public Policy Forum last week awarded the Village of Bayside with its 100th Anniversary Salute Award for Transparent Public Communication.
The award was given for the work of Village Manager Andy Peterson and village staff in keeping the public informed of village business.
Bayside to investigate
private sewer laterals
Bayside — Bayside will begin investigating 32 private sewer laterals through a closed circuit television inspection, village officials decided last week.
Laterals in basin 4009, located in the Pelham-Health subdivision, and basin 4003 where the Schlitz Audubon Nature Center is located, will be investigated to identify areas with infiltration issues. The inspections are fully funded by the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District and cost roughly $15,000.
The Village Board last week approved contracting with Kapur & Associates to conduct the inspection.
Any problems that are found and need to be fixed would be funded by MMSD as well, according to Village Manager Andy Pederson.
Bayside approves fire department fee increases
Bayside — The Bayside Village Board last week approved a slew of fees to go to the North Shore Fire Department, many of which will increase by a few dollars depending on the service.
The fees for service do not go into effect until all of the communities served by the North Shore Fire Department approve them, which has not happened yet.
Hillel Academy launches
two new programs
Whitefish Bay — Fueled by an anonymous donation of more than $10,000, Hillel Academy will launch two new programs in the fall.
The first program, based on a science, technology, engineering and math curriculum, will have students building programmable robots using Lego parts.
With the grant money, Hillel will also launch "Skate Pass," a physical education class built around skateboarding, which, according to a school news release, is meant to "foster cooperation, creative expression, friendship and support the health and well-being of students."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Pedestrian death prompts Whitefish Bay to add new signage on Silver Spring Drive
- Whitefish Bay memorializes woman killed in crosswalk (3)
- Whitefish Bay man allegedly charged officer with knives, screamed 'kill me' in officer-involved shooting (2)
- JCC Maccabi Games will bring 1,000 teen athletes to the North Shore
- Whitefish Bay police officer shoots man holding knives
- Bay Little League plans baseball-themed playground
- Three North Shore libraries join forces for "community reads" event
- Burglary suspects led police on high-speed chase through Whitefish Bay, Glendale (2)
- Burglary suspects allegedly target Bay couple at funeral
- North Shore Police Reports: June 25, 2015