Mequon will host a special election in September to fill the vacant District 1 aldermanic seat on the Common Council, city officials decided Tuesday.
The seat was left vacant after Mayor Dan Abendroth won both seats in the April election and he chose the mayoral position. The special election for District 1 residents will be held Sept. 10. If there are more than two candidates in the running, a primary election will be held Aug. 13.
A special meeting was called Tuesday after the Mequon Common Council had previously failed to select a candidate by the required five-vote majority.
The election will cost the city $2,765. That cost will double if there is a primary.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Whitefish Bay votes to end Halloween block parties (2)
- Whitefish Bay upgrades tennis courts at Richards Elementary School
- Fire damages two Whitefish Bay homes
- UWM baseball team allowed to practice at Whitefish Bay's Cahill Park
- Whitefish Bay school taxes projected to increase 3.7 percent
- Dentist plans to renovate key Whitefish Bay storefront
- Pedestrian death prompts Whitefish Bay to add new signage on Silver Spring Drive (3)
- Whitefish Bay memorializes woman killed in crosswalk (3)
- Whitefish Bay man allegedly charged officer with knives, screamed 'kill me' in officer-involved shooting (2)