Shorewood - Atwater Beach will have lifeguards this summer, courtesy of Milwaukee County. The Village Board voted Monday to authorize a budget of approximately $10,000 for nine weeks of lifeguard service.
The tentative start date is June 16 and the tentative end date of the service is Aug. 18. The village received two separate service options for lifeguard staffing from Milwaukee County, and ended up going with a compromise of work hours and cost. Lifeguards will be on duty from 11 a.m. through 4 p.m., seven days a week.
"There will be a large block of time where parents will know there's a lifeguard," Trustee Michael Maher said.
The original cost for the lifeguards was approximately $16,000, but the village has $6,000 left over from last year as a result of beach closings, bringing the total cost down.
Trustees and Friends of Atwater Beach members expressed interest in a later end date for the lifeguard service, which is currently set for Aug. 18 because a majority of lifeguards are college students who head back to campus mid-month.
"If we can find the money and (Milwaukee) can find the extra work, we'll do it," said Village Manager Chris Swartz.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Pedestrian death prompts Whitefish Bay to add new signage on Silver Spring Drive
- Whitefish Bay memorializes woman killed in crosswalk (3)
- Whitefish Bay man allegedly charged officer with knives, screamed 'kill me' in officer-involved shooting (2)
- JCC Maccabi Games will bring 1,000 teen athletes to the North Shore
- Whitefish Bay police officer shoots man holding knives
- Bay Little League plans baseball-themed playground
- Three North Shore libraries join forces for "community reads" event
- Burglary suspects led police on high-speed chase through Whitefish Bay, Glendale (2)
- Burglary suspects allegedly target Bay couple at funeral
- North Shore Police Reports: June 25, 2015