Deadlines for entry in eight contests for Wisconsin writers are January 31, 2009 (postmark). The Council for Wisconsin Writers invites submissions of writing published in 2008 by Wisconsin authors in the following categories: books of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry; short fiction and nonfiction; children's literature; outdoor writing; and a set of five individual poems.
Awards of $500 and a weeklong residency at Edenfred, in Madison, are made in each category. Entry fee is $15.00; out-of-state judges will make the selections. Postmark deadline for entry is January 31, 2009. Writers must be residents of Wisconsin.
CWW also sponsors, for the first time, the Essay Award for Young Writers (1500 word maximum) for high school student writers; there is no entry fee, and the award is $150. Members of the board will judge. Deadline for the student essay contest is Dec. 31, 2008.
Nominations are also open for the $1000 Major Achievement Award, recognizing a Wisconsin writer for work of outstanding merit.
Entry forms and additional information are available on the website, www.wisconsinwriters.org, or by writing contest co-chair Marilyn L. Taylor, 2825 E. Newport Ave., Milwaukee 53211, indicating the contest categories needed.
CWW is a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting Wisconsin's literary heritage and writers.
Edenfred, established in 2004, is a part of the Terry Family Foundation, a non-profit charitable organization.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitefish Bay Holiday Stroll coming on Friday
- New Whitefish Bay student group 'gives back' to those in need
- North Shore Police Reports, Nov. 26, 2015
- Rumage Around: Getting to know you, my readers
- North Shore Police Reports, Nov. 19, 2015
- Oak Leaf Trail extension links Milwaukee to Ozaukee County
- North Shore Police Reports, Nov. 12, 2015
- Former Whitefish Bay resident returns to discuss her new novel
- North Shore Police Reports: Nov. 5, 2015
- Sendik's rolls out online grocery shopping service