Still trying to find a way home, the Whitefish Bay girls basketball team did not go into the holiday break with merry hearts, falling to area rival Shorewood, 55-35, on Dec. 21, just two days after being drilled by Cedarburg, 61-20, in a North Shore Conference game.
"We're going to regroup and try to find a way to remain competitive," Blue Duke coach Todd Frohwirth said. "We have pretty good athletes, but a lot of them are just really learning the fine points of basketball at this point."
The Blue Dukes (0-5 in the North Shore and 1-8 overall) were to take on Thomas More on Dec. 28 and now will resume action at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 5, at home against Nicolet.
Against host Shorewood, the Blue Dukes could not contain 6-foot-1-inch All-Suburban forward Amanda Schick. Schick only had 15 points, but she dominated the boards, Frohwirth said.
"We just couldn't compete against anyone that size," Frohwirth said. "She beat us up pretty good. We tried to go at a quicker pace, but we couldn't gain control."
The Greyhounds were ahead, 25-13, at the half. Alumni from the state runner-up team of a year ago were there for encouragement, Frohwirth said, but it didn't help the young Dukes, who frequently had two freshmen and two sophomores in the lineup at the same time.
"But they were nice and said that they recognized some of the same mistakes they made when they were that age," Frohwirth said.
Emily Bostwick had 10 points and five assists and Olivia Hoff had nine points for Bay.
Cedarburg outscored host Bay, 46-11, over the last three quarters in hammering the Blue Dukes on Dec. 19. Jenny Wysocky had seven points for Bay.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Homestead ACT scores top North Shore
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 27, 2015
- Newsweek: Whitefish Bay best Wisconsin school; 30th in nation
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 20, 2015
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 13, 2015
- Dentist plans to renovate key Whitefish Bay storefront
- Pedestrian death prompts Whitefish Bay to add new signage on Silver Spring Drive (3)
- North Shore Police Reports: Aug. 6, 2015
- Whitefish Bay memorializes woman killed in crosswalk (3)
- North Shore Police Report: July 30