Whitefish Bay - The Harry and Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center, 6255 N. Santa Monica Blvd., is accepting entries for the Holocaust Youth Essay Contest.
Students are asked to describe two lessons they have learned from studying the Holocaust. Students are encouraged to provide historical information and background of an event, group or person from the Holocaust that inspired each of these lessons. The essay contest is open to all students in grades seven to nine (Division I) and 10 to12 (Division II).
This year's topic for the Holocaust Youth Essay Contest is: "During World War II, many countries were occupied or influenced by the Nazis. Discuss and give examples of how people in at least one country helped Jews. What do you think you would do in a similar situation and why?" Only essay-form entries will be accepted. Entries cannot exceed 1,200 words and must represent the independent effort of the writer. Essays must be typed or printed, double-spaced, on one side of the paper only. They will be judged on originality, content and quality of expression.
The essay must be accompanied by a title page containing the following information: student's name, home address, telephone number and email; name of school, address, telephone number, teacher's name and the grade. No pages in the essay should include their name or any family names or personal identification.
Entries must be postmarked no later than 4 p.m. Feb. 18 and mailed to Harry and Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center, 6255 N. Santa Monica Blvd., Whitefish Bay, WI, 53217, Attn: Judges.
The top two winners in each division will win a trip to the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C. Their school will receive a book.
The winners will be announced and presented at 3 p.m. April 7 at the communitywide Yom Hashoah Commemoration (Day of Holocaust Remembrance) at the center.
For information, call (414) 967-8217 or email email@example.com.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitefish Bay Holiday Stroll coming on Friday
- New Whitefish Bay student group 'gives back' to those in need
- Sendik's rolls out online grocery shopping service
- Milwaukee Bucks player John Henson alleges racial discrimination at Whitefish Bay jewelry store (10)
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Whitefish Bay votes to end Halloween block parties (2)
- Whitefish Bay upgrades tennis courts at Richards Elementary School
- Fire damages two Whitefish Bay homes
- UWM baseball team allowed to practice at Whitefish Bay's Cahill Park
- Whitefish Bay school taxes projected to increase 3.7 percent