Whitefish Bay - The Harry and Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center, 6255 N. Santa Monica Blvd., is accepting entries for the Holocaust Youth Essay Contest.
Students are asked to describe two lessons they have learned from studying the Holocaust. Students are encouraged to provide historical information and background of an event, group or person from the Holocaust that inspired each of these lessons. The essay contest is open to all students in grades seven to nine (Division I) and 10 to12 (Division II).
This year's topic for the Holocaust Youth Essay Contest is: "During World War II, many countries were occupied or influenced by the Nazis. Discuss and give examples of how people in at least one country helped Jews. What do you think you would do in a similar situation and why?" Only essay-form entries will be accepted. Entries cannot exceed 1,200 words and must represent the independent effort of the writer. Essays must be typed or printed, double-spaced, on one side of the paper only. They will be judged on originality, content and quality of expression.
The essay must be accompanied by a title page containing the following information: student's name, home address, telephone number and email; name of school, address, telephone number, teacher's name and the grade. No pages in the essay should include their name or any family names or personal identification.
Entries must be postmarked no later than 4 p.m. Feb. 18 and mailed to Harry and Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center, 6255 N. Santa Monica Blvd., Whitefish Bay, WI, 53217, Attn: Judges.
The top two winners in each division will win a trip to the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C. Their school will receive a book.
The winners will be announced and presented at 3 p.m. April 7 at the communitywide Yom Hashoah Commemoration (Day of Holocaust Remembrance) at the center.
For information, call (414) 967-8217 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- St. Monica Parish hosts first "wine and art" winter social
- Whitefish Bay orchestra presents Music for Munchkins children's concert
- Raw video: Driver runs over 36 parking meters in Whitefish Bay (5)
- Gerhards Kitchen and Bath coming to Whitefish Bay
- Patton Oswalt to perform at JCC fundraiser benefiting Special Olympics Wisconsin
- Elvish tradition continues at Whitefish Bay cabin
- Hillel Academy students help their classmate get a new wheelchair
- Sen. Alberta Darling gets feedback from North Shore school districts (3)
- Placesetters will close after 38 years in Whitefish Bay
- Whitefish Bay man robbed in his driveway