Bay Village Board approves Cahill baseball field design
School Board has yet to approve; several steps remain
Whitefish Bay - Plans for an updated baseball field at Cahill Park will move forward after receiving village approval.
The Whitefish Bay Village Board on Monday approved the construction design agreed upon with the Friends of Bay Baseball group for the field, which features a field turf infield and running track, natural grass outfield, new scoreboard in right field and permanent concrete curved around the backstop area.
Plans also specify the construction of two dugout areas along the first and third baselines, large enough to be used for housing a concession stand on one side and storing baseball equipment on the other. A shed now being used to store equipment at the site would be removed.
The proposed dugouts do not currently meet setback requirements, Village Manager Patrick DeGrave said. The board approved plans including the dugouts while referring them back to the Board of Appeals and Architectural Review Commission for review and consideration of a setback variance request.
Trustee Jay Miller expressed concerns about whether the proposed scoreboard would disturb neighbors. However, Carl Fuda of Friends of Bay Baseball said the scoreboard would be about 400 to 450 feet away from neighbors facing the sign, and the scoreboard would not be lit.
Fuda said the group has been distributing information on the project to neighboring residents and recently held an open house.
Pending School Board review and approval scheduled for Nov. 14, the board's approval allows Friends of Bay Baseball to proceed with fundraising efforts needed to complete the project.
The village has agreed to contribute $50,000 to the project and the group anticipates another $150,000 from the school district, Fuda said. They hope to privately raise at least an additional $200,000, by a previously stated target date of September 2013, in order to complete the project.
- Animator of 'Yellow Submarine' and other influential shows will appear in Whitefish Bay
- Whitefish Bay sleep consultant is a dream come true for North Shore parents (2)
- After extensive cancer treatment, Whitefish Bay mom finds new purpose in ice pops (1)
- Whitefish Bay entrepreneur wants to revolutionize school fundraisers
- Whitefish Bay's 28 minutes of fame is 'Around the Corner' (2)
- Whitefish Bay's first ice cream social of the season is June 15 (1)
- Whitefish Bay Community Band sets summer schedule
- Memorial Day ceremony planned in Whitefish Bay
- Villages taking precaution with lead service laterals
- Whitefish Bay hosts eco-friendly 'Green Day' event