Whitefish Bay — Tara Serebin, a 17-year Whitefish Bay resident, was chosen by the Village Board Monday to serve the remainder of recently-resigned trustee Lauri Rollings' term.
Rollings in May announced she would be stepping down to focus on her work life and the imminent birth of her first child, creating a vacancy on the board until April 2014.
At the meeting Monday, trustees heard from the four applicants for Rollings' seat: Serebin, Executive Director of the Peace Learning Center of Milwaukee; Jay Saunders, Public Information Assistant at the Milwaukee County Board of Directors; Mario Gonzales, Assistant United States Attorney at the Department of Justice; and Ken Wysocky, a freelance journalist and editor who ran unsuccessfully in the spring election.
In a paper ballot vote, Serebin received three votes, while Gonzalez and Wysocky each received one.
Before taking the executive post at PLCM, Serebin was a longtime elementary and substitute teacher. She has a bachelor's in elementary education from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a master's in education from UW-Milwaukee.
While addressing trustees before the vote, Serebin emphasized her repeated attendance at board meetings over the years as qualification. She said her focus on the board would be to increase communication between the village and residents, suggesting more online postings regarding the ongoing infrastructure work throughout the village.
"Maybe once a week or once a month, just if the residents are able to get a little bit of an update," Serebin said. "It just might go a little ways."
After the meeting, Serebin was enthusiastic about her appointment.
"I'm looking forward to the challenges and to hearing from residents," Serebin said. "I think I'm up to the challenge."
- Dominican High School grad Kevin Brauer repurposing old clothing with Upties business
- Whitefish Bay restaurant Moxie to open in late summer
- Whitefish Bay ranked top high school in Wisconsin
- Whitefish Bay police arrest two burglars
- The Navy Knot brings prep to Whitefish Bay
- Three men charged in car thefts in Shorewood, Whitefish Bay
- Flotation therapy coming to Whitefish Bay
- Whitefish Bay targets basement backups
- Whitefish Bay remembers former village president Patrick Matthews
- Whitefish Bay set to catch some 'Greased Lightning'