The Whitefish Bay School Board announced today that Mary Gavigan will become the next superintendent of Whitefish Bay Public Schools. Gavigan, currently superintendent of the Stoughton Area School District, succeeds James Rickabaugh, who announced his retirement in December.
"Mary Gavigan brings excellent credentials and a depth of relevant experience to Whitefish Bay," said School Board President Marie Greco. "She is highly respected among educators. She is excited to be joining our district, and we look forward to welcoming her to the community."
Gavigan received her undergraduate degree from UW-Eau Claire and master's and doctoral degrees from UW-Madison.
After teaching elementary school for five years, she served as an elementary principal in the Ripon, Waterloo and Sun Prairie school districts. She has also served in staff development and director of instruction roles in Sun Prairie and the Oconomowoc Area School District. Prior to becoming superintendent in Stoughton, Gavigan was assistant superintendent in that district.
In addition to K-12 teaching and administrative positions, Gavigan has taught education courses at both Cardinal Stritch University and UW-Madison.
The board will formally approve Gavigan's contract at its regularly scheduled board meeting April 14. Her employment begins July 1.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitefish Bay group speaks out against school budget cuts
- North Shore Police Reports: April 16, 2015
- Tornado watch in effect
- North Shore Police Reports: April 9, 2015
- Whitefish Bay School Board says radio station would be better suited for community use
- Whitefish Bay couple accused of public assistance fraud (1)
- North Shore Police Reports: April 2, 2015
- Whitefish Bay hires John Edlebeck as public works director
- Whitefish Bay cop Straub to run marathon in full uniform
- North Shore Police Reports: March 26, 2015