The Whitefish Bay School Board announced today that Mary Gavigan will become the next superintendent of Whitefish Bay Public Schools. Gavigan, currently superintendent of the Stoughton Area School District, succeeds James Rickabaugh, who announced his retirement in December.
"Mary Gavigan brings excellent credentials and a depth of relevant experience to Whitefish Bay," said School Board President Marie Greco. "She is highly respected among educators. She is excited to be joining our district, and we look forward to welcoming her to the community."
Gavigan received her undergraduate degree from UW-Eau Claire and master's and doctoral degrees from UW-Madison.
After teaching elementary school for five years, she served as an elementary principal in the Ripon, Waterloo and Sun Prairie school districts. She has also served in staff development and director of instruction roles in Sun Prairie and the Oconomowoc Area School District. Prior to becoming superintendent in Stoughton, Gavigan was assistant superintendent in that district.
In addition to K-12 teaching and administrative positions, Gavigan has taught education courses at both Cardinal Stritch University and UW-Madison.
The board will formally approve Gavigan's contract at its regularly scheduled board meeting April 14. Her employment begins July 1.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Whitefish Bay Holiday Stroll coming on Friday
- New Whitefish Bay student group 'gives back' to those in need
- Sendik's rolls out online grocery shopping service
- Milwaukee Bucks player John Henson alleges racial discrimination at Whitefish Bay jewelry store (10)
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Whitefish Bay votes to end Halloween block parties (2)
- Whitefish Bay upgrades tennis courts at Richards Elementary School
- Fire damages two Whitefish Bay homes
- UWM baseball team allowed to practice at Whitefish Bay's Cahill Park
- Whitefish Bay school taxes projected to increase 3.7 percent