The James J. McClymont House
4811 North Lake Drive
By Tom Fehring
This brick Georgian Revival residence was built in 1930 for James J. McClymont. It features round arches over the first floor windows and stone quoins at the corners. The gables are pedimented in the Grecian style.
According to the Wright’s Milwaukee Directory, James McClymont was the principal at McClymont Marble Manufacturers and Contractors. Designed by Alexander H. Bauer, it was constructed for an estimated $25,000 for 10 rooms. Original blueprints are on file with the Village of Whitefish Bay.
Alexander Bauer formed an architectural practice with Gustav A. Dick (AIA) in 1921 as "Dick & Bauer". They are perhaps best known for the design of six movie palaces in Milwaukee, including the Oriental and the Sprague Theatre in Elkhorn, WI, although they also designed many regular commercial buildings, churches, and homes.
Bauer served as president of the Wis. chapter of the AIA.
The following is a bionote regarding Bauer, posted on the Cinema Treasurers Website:
Bauer formed an architectural practice parternership with Gustav A. Dick (AIA) in 1921 as "Dick & Bauer". They designed six movie palaces in Milwaukee, as well as many regular commercial buildings, churches, and homes. In 1931 the parternership was incorporated with Dick as president and Bauer (a native Milwaukeean who was graduated from the U. of Wis. at Madison) as treasurer and his wife as vice-president. Dick was born in Milw. in 1872, and died there in 1935 and Bauer continued the firm through 1937. Bauer served as president of the Wis. chapter of the AIA, and belonged to the Wis. State Assn. of architects, as did Dick.
He was one of the founders of the First Church of Christ Scientist in the suburb of Whitefish Bay, as well as being a member of the Milwaukee Real Estate Board, The City [social] Club, the Milwaukee Art Institute, and various Masonic lodges. He later collaborated with noted Milwaukee architect Alexander Eschweiller. Bauer died of a cerebral hemorrhage in 1946 at the County Emergency Hospital (defunct) which he had helped design. Source: Historic Milw. Inc. booklet of 1992.
Note: Please respect the rights of private property owners when viewing this or any of properties listed in this column.
About "Preserving Our Past"
The Village of Whitefish Bay is a community of residential neighborhoods, punctuated with an attractive walking district of fine stores, excellent schools and vibrant houses of worship. It is filled with homes and other buildings that are architecturally rich, well-designed and maintained, and diverse in character.
Its residents have contributed much to the broad cultural, political, economic and social history of the area. And its residents are interested in maintaining their connections with an historic past.
To help maintain these connections, the Historic Preservation Commission is in the process of identifying buildings and historic sites that it believes may be architecturally significant or historic. On a weekly basis we will feature a building or site from our inventory.
- Archive: Read about the village's other historic buildings
- From the commission: About our inventory and a request for help
- More information: Historic designation application and procedures online
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!