Whitefish Bay — Superintendent Mary Gavigan has announced she will be leaving the district in favor of an executive director post at the Cooperative Educational Service Agency.
She will be taking over CESA #1, one of 12 regional service providers in Wisconsin. According to the CESA #1 web page, the provider's southeastern Wisconsin coverage area spans 45 schools districts across six counties, containing more than 29,000 educators and more than 300,000 students. Oftentimes districts contract with CESA for services like special education, staffing, consultations, professional development services, student learning programs, and student support and intervention services.
On a broader level, CESA is advancing what Gavigan calls a "three-pronged approach" consisting of regional collaboration between area superintendents, college and career readiness for students, and a "transformational initiative" aimed at individually customized lesson plans.
"The future is very much about personalizing student education," Gavigan said. "It's a dynamic time, so it's an exciting time to work regionally, and across the state."
Gavigan was chosen in 2010 to succeed Whitefish Bay School District Superintendent James Rickabaugh. Coincidentally, she will again succeed Rickabaugh when she takes over as executive director of CESA #1. The School Board will meet in closed session Tuesday evening to begin hashing out a transitional plan for the superintendent position; the agenda indicates the board may select an interim superintendent.
"I feel very privileged to have worked with staff and families during this very dynamic time in education," Gavigan said of her time in the district. "Whitefish Bay will always be a very special place."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Judge dismisses lawsuit against Whitefish Bay schools
- North Shore Police Reports: Nov. 13, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: Nov. 6, 2014
- North Shore Police Reports: October 30, 2014
- Whitefish Bay couple challenges conventions with hybrid theater company
- Election 2014: State Assembly District 23 Voter's Guide
- North Shore Police Reports: October 23, 2014
- Brothers pave patio, walkway for veterans in Shorewood
- Cahill neighbors call foul on new field
- North Shore Police Reports: October 16, 2014