Mrs. Marie Gether's House
700 E. Day Ave.
By Tom Fehring
Mrs. Marie Gether and her daughter Adolpha lived in this house. She was the mother of C. Robert Gether, who lived at 726 E Day. Home at 700 E Day was featured in 1892-93 Day Ave Sales Brochure; had a wrap-around porch.
The house was extensively remodeled after a November 1924 fire and converted from a Victorian styled residence to a Tudor Revival Style.
The small picture at the right is an early view of the residence showing its original architecture including a large wrap-around porch.
This section of East Day Avenue was the first residential area developed within Whitefish Bay.
Many of the homes located in this neighborhood were described in an advertising brochure, entitled, “A Home on the Bay” which was distributed in 1892 and 1893 to interested parties, including visitors to the Pabst Whitefish Bay Inn.
From the surviving photographs, most of the homes in this residential neighborhood do not appear to be designed in a ‘pure’ style. The builders appear to have combined elements of several styles in the various buildings. Queen Anne Style influences appear somewhat evident on these homes, but they may be designed closest to the Stick Style, which has been described as “one of the two most purely American styles of the nineteenth century.” Stick Style homes are “expressive of the wooden framing system which underlies the wall, and were influenced by the residential designs published by Andrew Jackson Downing in the 1950s. Downing emphasized ‘truthfulness’ in wooden construction. Vertical or horizontal boarding on the outside walls were expressive of the underlying study wall underneath. Stick Style details such as paneling and simple gable end trusses are observable on several of these houses.”
Although several of the homes in this neighborhood have been modified over the years, most of the homes continue to exhibit their distinctive architectural style. As such the neighborhood stands out as a unique historical area within the Village of Whitefish Bay.
The Milwaukee and Whitefish Bay Railroad line was developed in 1892, the same year the many of these residences were built and also the year the community of Whitefish Bay was incorporated. The line pushed to its northern limits at Day Avenue in 1897, and was electrified in 1898. The railroad allowed residents of the East Day Avenue neighborhood to commute to jobs in the City for the first time.
Note: Please respect the rights of private property owners when viewing this or any of properties listed in this column.
About "Preserving Our Past"
The Village of Whitefish Bay is a community of residential neighborhoods, punctuated with an attractive walking district of fine stores, excellent schools and vibrant houses of worship. It is filled with homes and other buildings that are architecturally rich, well-designed and maintained, and diverse in character.
Its residents have contributed much to the broad cultural, political, economic and social history of the area. And its residents are interested in maintaining their connections with an historic past.
To help maintain these connections, the Historic Preservation Commission is in the process of identifying buildings and historic sites that it believes may be architecturally significant or historic. On a weekly basis we will feature a building or site from our inventory.
- Archive: Read about the village's other historic buildings
- From the commission: About our inventory and a request for help
- More information: Historic designation application and procedures online
- After extensive cancer treatment, Whitefish Bay mom finds new purpose in popsicles (1)
- Whitefish Bay entrepreneur wants to revolutionize school fundraisers
- Whitefish Bay's 28 minutes of fame is 'Around the Corner' (2)
- Whitefish Bay's first ice cream social of the season is June 15 (1)
- Whitefish Bay Community Band sets summer schedule
- Memorial Day ceremony planned in Whitefish Bay
- Villages taking precaution with lead service laterals
- Whitefish Bay hosts eco-friendly 'Green Day' event
- Dominican HS grad Kevin Brauer repurposes old clothing with Upties business
- Whitefish Bay restaurant Moxie to open in late summer