A 73-year-old Whitefish Bay man was cited for illegal discharge of a firearm after a neighbor reported him shooting at birds and squirrels in the 100 block of W. Day Ave. at 11:30 a.m. last week.
According to the police report:
Police found a dead bird in his backyard last Monday and the man admitted he has been shooting “unwanted birds and squirrels” that were eating his “expensive bird food” — the food he put out for birds “he desires.”
He also said that he didn’t know it was illegal and that he was careful to shoot only at the ground so as not to hit anything else.
He had a .177-caliber pellet gun.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Preserving our Past, February: Victory gardens
- Cumberland custodian charged with child abuse
- News & Notes: March 5
- Whitefish Bay prepares to unveil its preliminary, new compensation model
- Whitefish Bay district officials consider contributing for artificial turf softball field
- DeGrave resigns as Whitefish Bay village manager
- Police report: March 3
- News & Notes: Feb. 26
- ELECTION 2014: Three vie for two seats on Bay Village Board
- ELECTION 2014: O'Connor, Siegel square off for Bay presidency