A 73-year-old Whitefish Bay man was cited for illegal discharge of a firearm after a neighbor reported him shooting at birds and squirrels in the 100 block of W. Day Ave. at 11:30 a.m. last week.
According to the police report:
Police found a dead bird in his backyard last Monday and the man admitted he has been shooting “unwanted birds and squirrels” that were eating his “expensive bird food” — the food he put out for birds “he desires.”
He also said that he didn’t know it was illegal and that he was careful to shoot only at the ground so as not to hit anything else.
He had a .177-caliber pellet gun.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- News and notes
- Irish dancers from Bay compete in London
- Local businesses awakening after long winter
- News & Notes: April 9
- Age is just a number for Bay trustee
- Police Report: April 8
- Preserving our Past: Memories of the Whitefish Bay Fire Department
- Whitefish Bay pays $138,000 in exchange for village manager resignation
- Election 2014: Spring 2014 North Shore election roundup