• Bryan and Kristy Kargus of Glendale are the parents of a son, Benjamin Paul, born Jan. 22, 2010. He was 7 pounds, 1 ounce and 21 inches.
• The following students were named to the chancellor's list at the University of Wisconsin-Stout for the fall 2009 semester for maintaining a 3.5 grade-point average or higher: Melissa Allen and Justin Brunner - Glendale; Kelsey Schaufelberger - Mequon; Jacquelyn Pichette - Shorewood; and Lisa Allaway and Laura Pollock - Whitefish Bay.
• Gaurav Bhatnagar, SyedMehdi and Matthew Tabakin, all of Mequon, were students named to the dean's list at Emory College in Atlanta for the fall 2009 semester.
• Piper Bancroft of Brown Deer was named to the dean's list at Ball State University in Muncie, Ind., for the fall 2009 semester.
• The following students were named to the dean's list at Concordia University for the fall 2009 semester: Ashley Cain, Natalie Galucia, Stephanie Kaiser and Michelle Raddatz - Brown Deer; Thomas Doty, Paul Metcalfe and Kerri Quade - Glendale; Beth Barbaglia, Aaron Bergen, Kelsey Dunn, Katrina Greco, MandyKearns, Elizabeth Lewandowski, Lindsay Nass, Stephanie Quandt, Ryan Schnake, Elizabeth Shipley and Didar Singh - Mequon; Alissa Asmus and Mark Duerr - Thiensville; and Andrea Lewis - Whitefish Bay.
• The following students were named to the dean's list at the University of Iowa for the fall 2009 semester: Morgan Olsen - Bayside; Holly Coppins, Maria Dolsky, Christine Forrer, MichelleHillenbrand, Kristina Klaffenboeck and Zach Spindler - Mequon; and Scott Erickson, Samantha Hiller, Charles Knipper and MichaelLynch - Whitefish Bay.
• Becca Schmidt of Whitefish Bay was named to the dean's list at Minnesota State for the fall 2009 semester.
• Schuyler Gardner of Mequon has graduated magna cum laude from Lawrence University. She is a 2004 graduate of Homestead High School.
• Kellie Winkler of Glendale made the dean's list at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh for the fall 2009 semester.
• Andrew Kuhagen of Glendale received honors at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay for the fall 2009 semester.
• The following students were named to the dean's list at the University of St. Thomas for the fall 2009 semester: Laura Blaser - Mequon; Anthony Linn and Neil McKeown - Shorewood; and Michael Gaeta - Whitefish Bay.
• Elizabeth Plaster of Whitefish Bay was named to the dean's list at Washington University in St. Louis for the fall 2009 semester.
• The following students were named to the dean's list at Mount Mary College for the fall 2009 semester: Giovanna Iannello - Bayside, Nastassia Putz - Brown Deer, Maribel Maldonado and Marisa Hiley - Glendale; and Meg Delaney, Danielle Goetz, Jennifer Obudzinski and Kelly Gunderson - Whitefish Bay.
• The following students were named to the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities fall 2009 semester dean's list: Andrew Rudman - Bayside; Colin Close, Stephanie Kehl and Callie Wnuk - Fox Point; Naomi Amano, John Carter, Sara Chars, Matthew Laska, Rachel Steinhaus and Nicholas Teichen - Glendale; Jonathan Blacher, Michael Britton, Jeremy Driscoll, Amelia Gieschen, Ian Hanlon, Christopher Rausch, Jessica Roberts, Scott Schmitz and Courtney Tighe - Mequon; Grace Edgar, Sarah Leonard, Brittany Piller and Andrew Yerkes - Shorewood; Jacob Kittilstad, Jonathan Schmig and Abbey Theiler - Thiensville; and Case Bretzman, Eva Dixon, Lauren Foley, Annie Talajkowski and Davidson Ward - Whitefish Bay.
• Stuart Covi of Whitefish Bay was named to the "Who's Who among students in American Universities and Colleges" honors program for the 2009-10 academic year at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria, Ill.
• Brian Holzman of Bayside was awarded a five-year scholarship for the doctoral program at Stanford University of Education in Palo Alto, Calif. He is the son of Michael and Carmen Holzman of Bayside and a 202 graduate of Nicolet High School and a 2006 graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
• Casey Barnes and Robert Mantz, both of Mequon, Kelly McMahon of Shorewood, and Austin Landgraf of Thiensville, were all named to the dean's list at Northern Michigan University for the fall 2009 semester.
• Matthew Brotz, Caitlin Staniec, Edward O'Neil and Ben Redler, all students at Cardinal Stritch University, received a first place award in radio newscast for "CSU News on Radio Lobo" from the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association "Student Awards for Excellence" contest. Nana Yaa Bartels, also a student at Cardinal Stritch, received a second-place award in news series/documentary (radio) for her report "Cafeteria Inspection." Dawn Hale-Harvey, another Stritch student, received second-place award for news story (radio) for her report "Goodbye Archbishop Dolan."
• John Bennett of Whitefish Bay was named to the dean's list at George Washington University in Washington, D.C., for the fall 2009 semester.
• Katherine Bennett of Whitefish Bay was named to the dean's list at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, Ind., for the fall 2009 semester.
• Felecia Mae Madlock of Glendale was named to the dean's list at Upper Iowa University for the fall 2009 semester.
• Jessie Bazan, a senior at Dominican High School, has been awarded the Catholic Knights Hometown Hero Award. The award is given to a high school athlete who uses sports as a platform to promote the Catholic faith. By receiving this award she is also a semi-finalist for the All Star Catholic High School Sports Faith Hall of Fame, awarded by Sports Faith International.
• Three local students shared the stage with The Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra as honorable mentions at the Pabst Theater during the 43rd annual Audrey G. Baird Stars of Tomorrow concert. Alexis Lindsey of Mequon, who plays the violin, Michael Terrasi of Shorewood, who plays the trumpet and Emmy Tisdel of Shorewood, who plays the violin, all performed. This concert showcases a competition among high school soloists who were selected via competitive audition to perform a concerto movement with the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra.
• MitchellPignotti of Whitefish Bay was selected as Senate Scholar and met with Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen. The Senate Scholars program is a week long educational program offered through the Wisconsin Senate and only 33 students from around the state were chosen to participate.
• Emilie Lozier,an eighth-grader at Shorewood Intermediate, placed fourth at the Regional Spelling Bee held on Feb.18 at Longfellow Middle School.
• The following students at Lumen Christi Catholic School placed second at the Dominican Challenge: Clare O'Malley, Sophie Kirtley, AJ Bolles, Livvie May, William Thoma, Hayden Hussey, Gretchen Thomas and Ali Walton - all eighth-grade students; and Kevin Mikolajczak, Michaela Rusch, Jack Pulito, Madeline Fricker, Anders Bjork, Jonathan Bartlett, Kelly Ochocki and Grace Bobber - all seventh-graders.
Send Celebrations submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Celebrations: April 10
- Celebrations: April 3
- Celebrations: March 27
- Celebrations: March 20
- Celebrations: Feb. 11
- Celebrations: Feb. 6
- Celebrations: Jan. 23
- Celebrations: Jan. 9
- Celebrations: Jan. 2
- Celebrations: Dec. 12
- Celebrations: Dec. 5
- Celebrations: Nov. 28
- Celebrations: Nov. 21
- Celebrations: Nov. 14
- Celebrations: Oct. 31
- Celebrations: Oct. 24
- Celebrations: Oct. 10
- Celebrations: Sept. 19
- Celebrations: Sept. 12